Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Really, I Know How to do My Job

[RANT]

I have to wonder, why is it that some poeple don't let me do my job. I have years of experience in Graphic Design. Yet, some people insist that they can do it themselves. And when I finally recieve their "work" it looks horrible. Plus, 9 times out of 10 there is something wrong with it (this was no exception, I had problems).

I thought about going into details, but really who wants to hear me complain the entire time about minor details. I will say this, I know part of the reason why they are doing the work themselves. (designers will appreciate this logic) They do not want me to mix up the artwork with the discription and price. Becuase, I do not know a lot about their products. They don't think they can trust me to do the ad. Now, what's wrong with this picture?

I don't know their products, that's true, yet do they know how to do my job as a designer? Nevermind, the simple solution of actually giving me detailed instructions on what product belongs with what discription. (Afterall, I give them a proof to double check my work) and if there is a mistake I will be happy and more than willing to change it. It's not like I am out to make them look bad. That's bad for business. I even offered to work with them so I would be familiar with their products. I am not even going to argue the fact that they didn't make the ad the right size or that it was made in a program that is weak in layout.

I suspect it is all about control. If I make their ads they think they have no control over the design and quality. True, I often take some artistic liberties, however, if the client asks for something I will do it and I will make it look as good as possible. The work I do is also a reflextion of myself as well as the business I work for. So you better believe I want to to look good.

[/RANT]